Wednesday, June 22, 2005

 
I got a call at seven in the morning on my cell phone from a summer associate, frantic.

"I couldn't sleep all night and I wanted to catch you right when you got up."

"How'd you even get my number?"

"The firm directory."

"What is it you need?"

"I think I gave you the wrong advice yesterday. I've been torturing myself over it. I told you the provision cut in favor of the client, but I've been re-reading the case law over and over and I think it cuts the other way. I don't think there's a case here. I'm so sorry. I know you were counting on me, and I screwed it up. I feel terrible about this. I don't want this to be your first impression of me."

"You think I take your advice without checking with an associate first?"

"Excuse me?"

"You think I actually believe a summer associate can do anything right? The project I gave you wasn't even for a current client. We solved it months ago. It was just busy work. You needed something to do, so I dug that up from my e-mail. You think it mattered?"

"But I was in the office until 2:30 in the morning working on it."

"No one told you to stay that late."

"But I thought--"

"You're here to get a taste of life as an associate. But we're not expecting you to actually do anything. Don't worry about it. I don't care if you got the answer wrong. The important thing is you got some experience. Calm down."

"But I thought--"

"I'll see you in the office later this morning. You probably still have time for a couple of hours of sleep."

"But I thought--"

"Goodbye."



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?