Monday, July 04, 2005

 
One of my favorite things to do is impose artficial deadlines on projects when I assign them to associates. Not only does it get the work done faster, but it reinforces the power hierarchy. I control your time, and whether I'm going to be kind about it or capricious is entirely up to me, and there's nothing you can do about it.

There's little better than the feeling I get when I track down an associate on Friday afternoon at 4:55 and throw a stack of paper at her, explaining the work has to be on my desk by Monday morning at the latest, and then on Monday, when she drops it off, thanking her and telling her you'll get back to her later in the week sometime, when you have a chance to read it.

Wasn't it urgent? Eh, everything's urgent and nothing's urgent. The magic is that the partners are the only ones who ever really know.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?