Monday, December 19, 2005

 
I saw a commercial for "Brokeback Mountain" on television this evening, first time I'd seen it. I think they're doing the movie a disservice by pitching it as a gay cowboy movie. Fairly clear from the trailer that it's a movie about the benefits of a job that consumes most of your day. I think I'll show a clip at next summer's orientation. "Don't worry about how much time you'll spend in the office," I'll tell them. "You might just fall in love with someone you're working with." Looks like a terrific story about the possibility of on-the-job romance, assuming that in the movie they're actually good cowboys. If they screw up and let the sheep in the commercial all get away because they're distracted, then my lesson is totally ruined. But if they can balance love and work, then I think I've found a winner there to make that point. There are far too few movies out there that extol the virtues of a job that takes up all your time. Hopefully this is the start of a trend and we'll see some more just like it.

I'm less certain about this one, but it seems to me I might be able to use the title song from "Rent" in a lecture about billable hours. Sure, there's 525,600 minutes in a year, but the important thing is that every one of those minutes is potentially billable to a client. That's what people need to keep in mind.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?