Sunday, February 26, 2006

 
I seem to have underestimated the students at Suffolk University Law School. A handful of them are apparently able to read. I've received some e-mails from students there who are offended by my previous post. They ought to be pleased that Ms. Abdala has finally gotten their school some attention. I didn't mean any specific offense to the students at Suffolk. Except for Ms. Abdala, I'm sure they are all wonderful people receiving wonderful educations.

I went on to Suffolk's web site, to satisfy my curiosity about whether or not the school actually exists, and found a sentence that probably explains why I've never heard of them. "Whether they are enrolled full-time in the day division or study part-time in the evening division, Suffolk Law students share a spirit of cooperation."

Well, that's the problem. I don't want lawyers here who have a spirit of cooperation. And apparently they don't even each get their own spirit of cooperation -- they have to share it. Like communists. The practice of law isn't cooperative. It's competitive. One side wins and the other side loses. I look for attorneys who can win. Not attorneys who can cooperate. Our clients don't usually come to us because they really want to cooperate with their creditors, or with the people their products have harmed, or with the government. They want to beat them. They want us to help them dispose of their problems.

Ms. Abdala doesn't seem to have learned about Suffolk's spirit of cooperation anyway. That was a very cooperative exchange she had with Mr. Korman. That's why it's been forwarded around the world.

I don't want the students at Suffolk to feel maligned by my post. I've done some research and now realize it's a fine school. A substantial percentage of the justices on the Rhode Island Supreme Court graduated from Suffolk. Massachusetts congressmen and the current secretary of state of New Jersey. At least one world-ranked poker player. And one of the professors there is a man named Joe Glannon, who writes books that help students pass their law school exams even when they haven't been to class. We didn't have study aids like Glannon's back when I was in law school. Students are coddled today. Maybe it's part of that spirit of cooperation. Professors cooperating with students to give them good grades even when they don't really understand the material. It's ridiculous how easy law school is for kids today. We didn't even have wireless Internet in the classrooms back in my day.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?